November 8, 2012

Peripheral Neuropathy

Over the last few months one of the doctors I saw was a neurologist  I went to the neurologist because I have been off balance for some time, I lose function in my hands and develop numbness throughout my hands and feet. They test your ability to feel pain and the doctor classified mine as stocking glove syndrome. After talking to him for sometime he explained to me that due to my autoimmune disease some of my nerves have been damaged. This can cause a disruption between the nerve and how it feels and deals with pain. I do not feel pain like most people. I feel it but for me it can be at higher level. For example if I am not feeling well I may describe my pain as my skin hurting. This is true. My skin literally hurts. Breezes outside causes pain and even just wearing clothes can hurt. Some nights the blankets on me just weigh me down and cause the skin to hurt. Also I have issues with feeling my feet. The doctor told me that could be why I tend to fall more often. He told me I can not feel the actual ground under my feet like most people do. Neuropathy is very scary for the patient and very painful. It takes a lot of persistence from the patient to convince the doctor to test for this disease. If you have other diseases they may try to categorize this pain type as being normal because of your underlining condition. So, remember you are your own advocate and it is you that will be persistence and you will make the doctors listen to your pain!!!!





http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer

No comments:

Post a Comment