September 25, 2013

Fall

As a little one I used to love to play outside. The longer the better!!!!! Summer was always such a hard time for this because in Ohio days lasted well into the night and up to bed I would have to go while the sun still lit my room with a glowing haze. I could close my eyes and feel the warmth and hear the kids who were allowed to continue to play calling to me asking if I would like to play hide and seek. I would lay in bed fighting off the drowsiness and showing my mom who the boss was by pouting right up until the exhaustion of the day washed over me. As summer moved along and we crept closer to fall the days would become shorter and bedtime was not a fight anymore because outside in the cool crisp air was the sound of silence as all the little kids in the neighborhood were put to bed in anticipation of the following morning.  Fall had begun and changes were all around!!!!

As fall creeps into the desert changes are not as noticeable as the ones seem throughout the Midwest. Leaves do not change, jackets are not needed and yes, you can still swim during the day. However, in the deepest darkest hour of the night I can sneak out my back door and feel the chill that fills the air and I know at that moment the unbearably hot days of the everlasting desert summer are finally coming to an end. It is here in this moment where I stop and realize change is knocking on the front door of all of our homes. 

Take a moment to really open your eyes next time you are at the store, driving in your car or walking on the sidewalk. You will see the seasonal sections in stores turn from bright summer smiles to the warm hues of fall featuring ornate oranges, glittering golds and beautiful browns. Pumpkins are popping up on doorsteps and your neighbors are finally stretching their arms after a long summers rest. Change is seen everywhere and excitement comes in waves. Holidays are approaching and families will be reunited over the upcoming months. It is a joyous time filled with thankfulness and opportunity all wrapped up in a pumpkin shaped box.

Do not let the leaves feel alone as they drop to the ground. Take the time to exam your days and make changes where needed and find strength in the joy of this change. As you bundle up shed the layers of fear, pessimism and hurt. Breathe in the clean crisp air and let it fill your heart. Let go of pain you feel or regret that carries you from day to day. Shed your own leaves so that you too can emerge as a stronger person in the spring. Collect your memories and cherish them in your hearts. Allow the world to see just how beautiful you truly are.



No comments:

Post a Comment