October 7, 2014

Old Friend

The cool water is inviting as I gaze at my reflection in the mirrored surface. I lean over slightly and as I gaze into my own eyes I reach out ever so gently and skim the water with my fingertip. The figure eight made ripples outward. My gaze never leaves my face and I see the ripples slowly distort the image looking back at me. I am unrecognizable. I can not make out my own mouth, nose or the eyes I was so intently staring into. In one soft, swift and gentle motion I no longer no who I am and look into the rippled surface for a clue as to who was now looking back at me. 

I squint hoping the narrowed vision would lead me to answers but only left the distorted image smaller and even harder to focus on. Slowly I step away from the waters edge but never loosing the rippled image. Step after step I slowly see clearly that in fact the image looking back at me was my own and that it may be different but it is in fact the same blue eyes, the same mouth that smiles so much it hurts and even more important , now that I have stepped back a bit I can see more of who I am looking at and I discover once again I can see my heart  right back where it belongs, permanently sewn onto my my sleeve. 

Old friend I thought for some time that I had lost you to the coldness of the world around me. I looked for you on the dark endless nights, the days spent being poked and prodded and lastly in the dreams I fought through chasing you from one memory to another. I am sorry to have doubted you. You never left. I just was unable to open myself up to see that you in fact were always with me. You are larger than I remember, beautiful and accepting. You are not scratched but in fact whole. I can feel you longing to find the endless love that lasts a lifetime. You are ready to be given once more to someone for safe keeping. With every beat you open us up to the world surrounding us. Finally we are again able to take in everything with endless love. Feeling you once more leaves me with wonder and hope. 

Looking around you will notice that things have changed. A new world is awaiting our arrival and someone longs to hold us tight. Alone is no longer a feeling that fills up our days and nights. Time no longer slowly creeps but is swept away with new memories to lock away for safe keeping. We are on a new adventure. One that holds so much promise and so much love. I am not afraid and you should not be afraid either. Let us embark on new milestones and plan for a world full of possibilities. I promise I will never loose sight of you again, for you make me whole and complete. Hold on tight because you and I...........you and I are just getting started. 







No comments:

Post a Comment