January 14, 2015

New Year Resolution

Even as an adult the anticipation on the very last day of the year excites me and leaves me with a feeling of anticipation!!! As the ball dropped I paused and kissed Greg and welcomed in a new year full of surprises yet to come, a family to start and a walk down a very special isle. During all the excitement in our new home I stopped to think about what we all set out to do.......change something by making a resolution to do just that. We now find ourselves at a precipice staring down at yet another resolution we are about to push off of a cliff and disappear into oblivion. What if this New Years resolution has nothing to do with changing something about yourself but actually accepting something else that truly exists in front of you three hundred and sixty-five days a year? I have pondered that tiny revelation and thought to myself that instead of dieting, taking larger risks or staying on task more often that I would focus completely and solely on myself........just as I am. 

It is the idea that has started to be passed down to our children because it was once passed down to us. We stop and remind them daily how loved they are and how perfect they are just as they stand in front of us today. Somewhere along the lines we grow into adults and realize not everyone thinks we are perfect. Instead we are bombarded from an early age that others think we are not good enough, smart enough or pretty enough. However, we are faced with a new year that encourages us to make the changes so we can fit more into a stereotypical role that society deems as beautiful. We could fret over all the imperfections in our lives and stare at ourselves in the mirror wishing that we were not who we actually are. 

That leads me to my new year challenge for all of you to take on and follow through. I request that instead of focusing on changing ourselves why don't we stop and look deep into our heart and soul and focus on accepting ourselves. Accept our flaws as if they too were gifts. Your nose maybe a bit larger but you inherited that from your grandpa who was a great man. You have wobbly bits......who doesn't?!?!?! I myself have Lupus and there is nothing I can do about it so I am taking on the daily challenge and the daily fight Lupus forces me into. I am going to embrace my limitations and NEVER feel sorry for myself. 

Let's all get together as a group and decide that we are perfect just as we are. No one can fault us for something that we already love about ourselves. Which leaves you to greater than life acceptance from each and every one of us and from others because can we demand unconditional love and respect from others when we deny it to ourselves???






No comments:

Post a Comment