June 10, 2013

Lessons

When I was growing up there were amazing opportunities that would teach us how to be a productive adult in society. I took Home Economics so that I could learn to cook, sew and even balance a check book and I even joined FHA. I grew up in a farming community and so I took Agriculture Class and joined FFA. I sat on the junior fair board so that I could learn about leadership. I was a cheerleader and dancer and this would teach me how to stick with something you committed to. I even had the opportunity to go to college my senior year so that I could get a jump start on my college education. I took every opportunity that I could so that I would not be shell shocked when I left the comforting home of my parents. The day I graduated I felt, like most children experiencing freedom the first time, ready to take on the world!!!!

I did everything I could possibly do to prepare myself for a life that one day would include graduating college, getting married, building a life and home and becoming a family. I really thought at eighteen I had everything figured out! My mom knew a lot and my dad had great stories and advice but who need that! I knew everything that I could about life and no one could tell me otherwise. I was ready for anything this world could throw at me!!!!

It has been sixteen years since I walked over that stage and received my license to live my life in the form of a diploma. Over the last eighteen years I have been taught so many life lessons and how life is never what you expect it to be. I have learned about heartbreak and joy. I have felt disappointment and fear. I have found love and realized that love should not hurt so much and walked away from what I thought was love  only to find what real love truly is. I have been told I may not live to see thirty and instead I celebrated thirty-four even when doctors told me that may not happen. I have had to learn some lessons the hard way and unfortunately have had to deal with a disease so young and have had to go through more life changing moments that most will never go through. Has this been a challenge????? Of course it has been a challenge I have been never been one to shy away from a silly little challenge. I say bring the challenges on and let me show you how it feels to be brave and positive and see the light before the sun even rises. 



No comments:

Post a Comment