September 5, 2012

Autumn

Labor Day............I remember that it marked the end of summer. I spent all week before Labor Day at the fair working on the Junior Fair Board. It was so much fun! It was the first gathering before school started and you were able to see all of your friends for the first time since school had let out a few months before. I can still smell the french fries cooking and the elephant ears frying!!!!! Still to this day those particular smells always take me back to my early fair days. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm delicious! Labor Day was always filled with excitement because it was DEMOLITION DERBY TIME!!!!! Cars decorated and crashing into each other......it does not get any better than that! I remember I dreamed of being in the powder puff division because even thought I was a girl crashing those cars seemed like so much fun!!!!!!

After that night the fair was over and it was time to pick out the first day of school outfit. I remember the first day of school and hopping on that bus. It smelled exactly the same as it had the last day it dropped me off in May. It was time for a new year, new adventures and saying goodbye to the warm sunny days and welcoming the crisp air of fall.

Nowadays us Lupies jump up and down on Labor Day and celebrate the end of summer! The hot weather that irritates our Lupus is coming to an end! The sun will not shine as much and the heat will gradually disappear and so will our rashes from the sun. We can finally go outside and actually enjoy ourselves!!!! You see, some Lupus patients, 60%, suffer from sun sensitivity. The sun can cause severe rashes on the areas being exposed. This is why we are the ones wearing long sleeves in the summer. The sun can also cause us to feel unwell and sick all over. It feels as if you have the flu. For me I have experienced blotchy rashes, flu like symptoms  complete and utter exhaustion and my joints on my fingers will swell and cause so much discomfort that it is hard to even move your hands.

So, bring on the cooler weather and the smell of fall! It is time for us to get outside and enjoy a little bit of the beauty that fall has to offer! We will finally be able to join our family and friends on adventures. I will not be the one staying home this time of year and the best part, no one will think I am crazy wearing my long sleeve shirt!





https://www.wepay.com/donations/danica-s-doctor-delima



PLEASE continue to remember it is National Chronic Pain month!!!!!! You know someone who is suffering in silence........you know me by reading my blog and there is not a moment in the day that I do not feel pain and there are so many more people who feel exactly the same way! If you know someone ask if they need a little help today and help relieve the burden that chronic pain puts on their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment