September 16, 2012

Outlaws Prayer

When I close my eyes at night I am swept away to a place that seems so far away but so close that I could touch it. I dream of being under the stars. Stars that are not hazed out by city lights. I would love to be in complete darkness with only the moonlight to light my path. I would love to be so far away that the sounds of the city are but a memory and that line of cars is replaced by the lines of the big dipper.

I live in the fifth largest city in the United States, Phoenix. It is not a bad place but a place that is filled with smog and the sounds of life never quiet down for a rest. The people tend to push their way through the days and lay their heads down worrying about tomorrow. Arizona has amazing heritage but to find someone who was born and raised here is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The pride of others belong to the states they moved from and instead of uniting we are all separated by giant concrete walls. It can be a lonely city sprawled out over miles and miles but the state itself holds an immense amount of beauty and wonder once you make it past those city limits. 

Tonight when I lay down I will picture myself in the pines up north with our closest friends. It will smell like Christmas everyday and every night we will laugh together surrounding a camp fire. We will tell stories of our adventures, re-account momentous occasions and reminisce about our lives that led us up to this one moment. We will be transformed to a place where no one is sick, no one is worried about their jobs and no one is unkind to one another. I will keep myself there until the bright sun pokes through the curtains and the sounds of traffic wake me up. I will push my way through yet another day and count down the hours until I am home again amongst the pines, camp fire and friends that truly define my home to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment