September 18, 2012

Waiting Room

As a kid I would get the occasional ear infection and yuck from school. I always hated when I got sick! It almost always meant a trip to the doctor. I don't know if it is just a memory I made up in my head but I would walk in and it would always smell like rubbing alcohol. I knew right then this visit was not going to end with a lollipop and a pat on the head........I was getting a shot and I knew it!

I was horrible at getting shots! I remember them pulling the top part of my pants down and I would just cry and scream! My poor mom!!! When it was all over the doctor looked at me and said that wasn't so bad! Not bad........he just stuck me with a needle and that was terrifying to say the least!!!!!! I ended up with a lollipop but still, I am not so sure it was worth it! It is kind of ironic due to the fact I have to give myself a shot every week......if I could only see that doctor again, now we could have a good laugh and I would agree, it wasn't so bad.

I have not been poked or prodded in weeks and I don't have any of the veins blown out from blood being drawn on my arm. On that topic.......I hope they understand that it isn't so bad that they blew your vein out, it is the weird looks you get as they heal!!!! I swear people think I am a drug user!!!!! No saying cheese as they take pictures of random body parts and no one looking at me a saying I don't know what to make of you and send you off to the next eager doctor. That all ends tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I will wake up, get dressed and grab lots of reading material. Tomorrow I go back to being a patient at Mayo Clinic. Tomorrow I start the hide and seek game with the doctors......what illness is hiding and what is showing its true colors.

One thing I learn every time I am waiting in the waiting area is that people truly do love. I see couples holding the hand of their loved one who has no hair. You see concern on the wife's face as she holds her husbands scans. You see true love and it is humbling. I almost feel as if I am interrupting a very intimate moment for these people. You can see so much fear and love in one place. When their loved one is called back they always look at each other, grab each others hands and smile as if the fear on their faces two seconds ago never existed. They are now putting their brave faces on for each other and holding their heads high so no one can see the fear and uncertainty in their eyes. They have pulled their lip in, raised their head and remember that this life they chose so long ago was built on for better or worse and in sickness and health.







No comments:

Post a Comment