May 13, 2012

My mamacita!

I love Mother's Day!!!!! I love the fact that today we celebrate the women who brought us into this world, enrich our lives and support us unconditionally!! It is a beautiful day for amazing women!

My mama's name is Jan. I appreciate her more and more everyday of my life. She has raised me to be a strong, independent and educated women. She taught me the value of life and love. My mama was a single mother and so I know her life was not as easy as others. She worked hard and even went to school!!!! Because she was a single mother, she worked for her children. We may not have had a lot but my sister Holly and i would never had known. She sacrificed everything for us to have shoes on our feet and clothes on our backs. We always had warm meals in our belly's and every once in a while she would take us out to Rax (Holly's favorite)  or Captain Dee's! We never wanted for anything. When a new Disney movie would come out my mom would rush to the store and buy is, hide it on top of the refrigerator and we would have to wait until Friday to watch it! As a kid that seemed like forever but as an adult is a precious memory that I hold in my heart.

A few years ago while at work my mama suffered from three aneurysm leaking in her brain. They rushed her to the hospital and she was immediately transferred to a hospital that had the capabilities to help my mama. After a four hour surgery she was sent to intensive care. As she woke up she only had her short term memory. It actually was pretty funny! She would wake up, look at us and ask when did we get there.....over and over!!!! Over the next few days my mom developed a fever and had trouble breathing. My sister and I watched as they put mama on a breathing machine. The put her in a medically induced coma. The doctors started to prepare us for the worst and even told us that if our mama survived she may need care for the rest of her life. Holly and I started to get things in order. We went through the process of changing over the power of attorney and even had to shut off some of the utilities. I was devastated. I should mention that I spoke to my mama at least four a days......I know, cut the apron strings but she is my best friend! Not having my phone ring with her on the other end was the hardest part. My mom's friend Kim would call me just so I had someone to talk to. I just missed my mama so much!

After weeks and days of not knowing the doctors finally decided to try and take her off the ventilator and sure enough, the strongest women in my life began to fight her way back to us! It took a few weeks but she was home and functioning almost at 100% by her birthday!!!!!!! I had never been so proud of my mom!!!!! She has always been a fighter and this was the hardest fight of her life but she did it!!!! She has returned to her job, has her own home and is enjoying her life as a grandmother!!!!

Today I am not able to be with my mama but I carry her in my heart everyday but especially today! I have already called her four times and I plan to bug her all day!!!! My sister and her little ones are spending the day with her so I know they will keep her busy. 

My message to my mama today and everyday is that she is the most amazing mother and I was so blessed to have a parent who loves me and has turned int o my best friend. I am not sure if I am able to have children but if I do.....if I am half the mama that she was, I will be a wonderful mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment